[NCLUG] Help needed - Adaptec 3210s raid controller/RAID

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Wed May 14 18:38:40 MDT 2003

	Please help me with the following steps, as something is
	not working:
	1. fdisk /dev/sda to create partition and write it.  (I
	would prefer one large container)

	2. mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda

	This *seems* to work ok, but subsequent mount attempts
	fail, claiming superblock corruption.  Somewhere I am not
	doing something right.

	Thanks - Erich

At minimim, if you do not want to partition the drive array, then
zero the first few sectors of it (or whole array which I prefer
anyway) and then do your mkfs:

	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k
	# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda

any partition tables are going to confuse other things into looking
for signatures where the partitions would be and often do some auto
magical configuration you would prefer not happen. As long as the raid
controller driver returns the right block count for the array, every
thing should then just work.

Problems past that are a controller/driver/drive problem.

John