[NCLUG] discrepency between reiserfs and ext3?

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Fri May 23 16:44:51 MDT 2003

robiel <robiel at tgstech.com> writes:
> [Robie ] In an attempt to see if it was nfs + reiserfs, I did a local
> copy of the data from reiserfs to ext3 (no nfs involved) and the data
> still fails the test when stored on ext3.  It appears that, once data
> has been written to the reiserfs volume, by any means (nfs or local
> copy) it will fail even if moved off of the reiserfs volume, by any
> means (nfs of local copy).

Hmm .... truely strange .... just for grins try:

	# cp /[ext3-partition]/database /[reiserfs-partition/database
	# od -x /[ext3-partition]/database > /tmp/hex.ext3
	# od -x /[reiserfs-partition/database > /tmp/hex.reiser
	# diff /tmp/hex.ext3 /tmp/hex.reiser

and if the diff doesn't report anything, then

        # cp /[reiserfs-partition/database /[ext3-partition]/database2
        # od -x /[ext3-partition]/database2 > /tmp/hex.ext3-2
        # diff /tmp/hex.ext3 /tmp/hex.ext3-2

and if this diff doesn't report anything, then

	# lsattr /[reiserfs-partition/database /[ext3-partition]/database2
	# ls -l /[reiserfs-partition/database /[ext3-partition]/database2

and if these are reasonable, then it's likely the data base routines
are sensitive to particular UID/GID or keep track of dates/sizes internal
to the database looking for corruption/tampering.

John