[NCLUG] Re: new Krud 9.0 update

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Tue May 27 09:56:10 MDT 2003

> Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:53:30 -0600
> From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo-nclug at tummy.com>
> To: nclug at nclug.org
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Re: NCLUG digest, Vol 1 #925 - 3 msgs
>
> On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 12:20:45PM -0600, William Dan Terry wrote:
> >Just did a 9 install on a new notebook. It didn't automatically set
> >up the cdrom (though it used it just fine for the install). So a
> >little
>
> Actually, it did...  It set it up as a SCSI CD-ROM because your laptop
> has a burner.  If I understand correctly, the problem was that there
> wasn't a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0.

It started the job but didn't complete it. The device was created but
wasn't readily accessible via standard means. IOW, had to create a link
by hand and an entry in fstab. But could have been much worse.

> >linking there. And it didn't find appropriate specs for the X
> >configuration.
>
> It sounds like you have a fairly new video chipset in that laptop that
> the installer couldn't figure out automatically, and you may have had
> to select a similar one manually.  On laptops, the display type often
> isn't correctly identified, and you manually have to select one of the
> Generic LCD types...  Sad but true.  ;-/

Yep. I don't recall that whoever was asking about the upgrade process
mentioned a computer type. So I figured I'd mention that too.

Also, while on the subject of KRUD 9 updates, as I was getting ready to
do another system which has had an issue with past problem, issues with
the Intel GX440 chipset, requiring a workaround, I found a new note on
the redhat site that they had pulled out the kernel changes to fix that
because it broke some other systems, but that a workaround was included
that automatically handled the case. Haven't tried it yet, but will in a
day or two. I'll be doing a fresh install. So I won't know how it
affects upgrades.

Peace, William

> Sean
> --
>  Home is where your source is.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999
> Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo at tummy.com>
> tummy.com, ltd. - Linux Consulting since 1995.  Qmail, Python,
> SysAdmin
>       Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B