[NCLUG] Re: Re: 'we have met the enemy, and he is us' (Nicholas Lang)

Robert Weber robertjw at alltheinfo.org
Wed Oct 15 16:52:19 MDT 2003

> not to support M$ or anything, but installing windows is actually
> relitivly easy, compared to what you just said. (relativly meaning you
> have the supported hardware to start with) then its just: insert cd, click
> click...reboot, click click...and your done.
>
> but I'm not saying redhat isn't easy, you just have to have supported
> hardware as well, cause if you don't it can be a pain in the ass trying to
> find a driver or find someway around getting your device to work.  (I know
> I've had a hell of a time with my laptop, still a work in progress :(
>
> this comming from a linux user of 3+ years, and still having fun
>
> Nick

First, let's not forget to add the handy software registration
requirements in the latest Windows version.  That adds another few clicks,
and often a phone call to the mix.  Beside that, a Windows install is
rarely perfect.  I have had every kind of nightmare imaginable.

An ideal Linux install is somewhat more complex than an ideal Windows
install, but when a Linux install gets dicey it is much easier to fix.

Maybe that's where M$ fits into this equation.  They could drop all of the
server and business stuff and concentrate on a simple, secure OS that
works good fo the casual e-mail/internet home user.  Linux is a good fit
for all the geeks, gamers, and businesses that have IT people to handle
all the geeky stuff.

Bob