[NCLUG] 'we have met the enemy, and he is us'

David W. Graham dgraham at i3.com
Thu Oct 16 08:20:16 MDT 2003

Paul Writes:

>And besides, have *you* ever tried to install Visual Studio? If you think
>"rpm -i"'ing a few GCC RPMs is difficult...

Once again, this is not difficult.  I got to do this with the new
VisualStudio .NET 2003 last week.  It was on a single DVD an installed in
one step.

Now using the new VisualStudio .NET is another question altogether.  It has
so many features that I don't know where to begin.  I still find myself
doing things outside it in vi and shell tools and then bringing them back
in.

Basically I hate environments where I cannot write code to write my code for
me.  I tend to use a lot of scripting to do the repetitive jobs of creating
getters and setters, replicating child classes, and things like that.
Supposedly all these wonderful features are in the IDE, but I don't have
time for a training course.

I suspect that the average programmer out of school these days would not
likely be used to writing scripts as a code writing technique.  In some ways
it is a legacy of years of UNIX and VMS programming.

Dave Graham