[NCLUG] Domain service question

Paul Price paul.price at colomail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:42:07 MDT 2004

Hi gang,

I am planning on registering several domains and have a few questions about
the services I need. "mydomain1" is for me and "mydomain2" is for a club I
belong to.

My ISP provides me with a fixed IP address, that I will use for a (Mandrake)
server (I'll call this machine "drake"). My internet connection connects to
"drake" on eth0. Connected to drake:eth1 is my internal home network, via a
router & hub. All home machines use 192.168 addresses. "drake" will act as a
gateway for my home systems.

I plan to have the following servers running on "drake", visible to the
outside world:

- web server (to handle all www.mydomain1.com <http://www.mydomain1.com/>
and mydomain2 web stuff)

- email server (to handle all "anybody at mydomain.com" mail addresses)

- I'd like to be able to set up mydomain2 emails to forward mail to other
email addresses (for club members)

- ssh server (to allow me to tunnel into my home machines from the outside)

What features do I need from the domain provider? Sub-domains?

Is there a good "how-to" for this type of setup?

Thanks,

Paul