[NCLUG] Mini-ITX/PC-104

jeff jeff at themoes.org
Thu Apr 29 09:10:11 MDT 2004

Dave Treece wrote:
> I'm just learning about Mini-ITX and PC-104 systems, I was
> wondering if anybody has worked with these using Linux. I'd
> also like some pointers on building such a system - since
> I've never done it, it would be nice to see an example/howto.

I have a couple mini-itx boards and they rock. They are just
miniature motherboards--you don't need funky things like you
may need for pc104. ATX power supplies work fine; you don't
need big ones, but it's a bit hard to find small ones. Also,
you'll need to get a special case or go caseless (which I do).
Basically, if you can "build" a PC, working with mini-itx is
easy. It got mine from: http://www.mini-itx.com

> Also, the application I'm looking at requires 8 serial ports.
> I've found mult-port PCI cards that would probably work with
> the Mini-ITX. But, I've only found 4 port cards for the
> PC-104. Could you stack two of the 4 port PC-104 cards?

Dunno about this, wrt 104. I have used digiboards in the past on
PCs. Mini-itx has a PCI port, so it can handle lotsa ports.

> Another question, then I'll set back and see what responses I
> get...
>
> The PC-104's I've seen seem to be underpowered 386, are there
> any faster systems (P2/586/etc)? Pointers would be helpful.

I know you asked about 104's...but, the itx's go up to 1Ghz.
That version has only one ram slot though, so it pretty much
maxes (currently) at 512M.

Since steve sent a photo, I'll offer one as well:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/images/blag-devel.jpg

It's my travel development system.

-Jeff