[NCLUG] vim Tips Presentation

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Mon Aug 9 22:34:31 MDT 2004

nick_lang-nclug5303 at mailblocks.com writes...

> I'm in the market for a new wireless card.  I'm not sure what to get I
> use SuSE 9.0, and have an hpZE4125 laptop.

According to the HP website they have an integrated wireless option for that
laptop. If you don't buy it at purchase time you might still be able to order
it and add it on(depending on the form factor). Assuming you can get it to
work under Linux that will be the best (although not the cheapest) solution
since you won't have to consume a PCMCIA or USB port and have an antenna
sticking out.

FYI Here's some URLs I found on linux-on-laptops.com

http://www.nicomachus.net/weblog/archives/000017.html (RH9)
http://www.hussar.demon.co.uk/linux/hpze4125.htm (Debian)

Neither say much about wireless, but might be good starting points in general.

> and any other info would be greatly appricated, concerning purchasing
> wireless stuff for a laptop.

Here's a good page that track wireless hardware in general,

http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison

assuming you're talking about 802.11g client adapters that stuff is on a
separate page,

http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/ClientAdapters_2f802_2e11g

I have the Netgear WG511 PCMCIA card and other than the fact you have to have
it load binary firmware on init, it works fine. I think most of the 802.11g
adapters do that, it makes the hardware cheaper (a la winmodems).

Good luck, please post your results when you figure it out.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org