[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 4, Issue 14

Joel Nevison jvnn at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 21:13:07 MST 2004

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I looked at qwest's website and got interested in upgrading my service.  I am on their old service with 640k down & 272k up speeds.  They offer 1.5M down for $28 if I use a 3rd party isp.  If I can get a decent isp for $12 I am at the same price as my present service. I called them and actually got someone with some decent answers.  My old modem runs CAP protocol and "probably can't do 1.5M"  He said the 1.5M service runs DMT protocol.

I guess what I'm looking for now is:
- A modem that does DMT (preferably a modem/router with more than one ethernet port)
- A cheap 3rd party isp.  Any recc's?

Joseph, I appreciate your offer, I found out that the 675 is a CAP modem,the  678 does CAP or DMT.  My need for a CAP modem will disappear if I can figure out a decent isp.  If I can't find an isp then your offer becomes a better deal.  I'd take one off your hands temporarily if you are willing so I could get my linux set up, then maybe we could agree on a price if I end up needing it more permanently.
-Joel

Joseph DiVerdi <diverdi at xtrsystems.com> wrote:
>Tim wrote:
>
>>The best route I have found is pick up a Cisco 675 or Cisco 678
>>

>Go with the 678 --- the 675's still work, but are being phased out.
>
>BOF

I've got a pair of 675s with manuals, CDs, etc. and would be willing to part with them rather inexpensively to a NCLUG member. :)

Give me a call or write.

Best regards,
Joseph
--