[NCLUG] Apache/mod_ssl question

Steve Chadsey tyr at teiresias.net
Mon Mar 15 13:54:24 MST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:30:36AM -0700, Rich Young wrote:
> I reissued the cert in an attempt to fix the problem, but we're still
> getting the same errors in the httpd error_log:
> [root at www conf]# tail /var/log/httpd/error_log

[...]

> [Mon Mar 15 10:03:13 2004] [error] [client 163.150.15.183] Invalid
> method in request !L!!
>
> Perhaps tellingly, /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log shows no record of these
> transactions, nor does /var/log/httpd/ssl_access_log.

I haven't run into this one before.  Can you verify that the SSL
traffic is hitting your server on the correct port?  The fact that
you aren't getting anything in your ssl logs indicates that the SSL
connections may be hitting your HTTP port and not your HTTPS one.

> I've tried using openssl diagnostics from a remote site, but I don't
> really know what to do with the output.  If anyone has ideas about what
> to do, please let me in on the secret.  Thanks,

Hmmm, one thing you can try is running
  openssl s_client -connect your.secure.site:443

And checking the output.  That's a great tool for troubleshooting
openssl problems.

--
Steve Chadsey <tyr at teiresias.net>