[NCLUG] Apache/mod_ssl question

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Tue Mar 16 15:34:48 MST 2004

Just my $0.02:

I fought a somewhat similar problem: got official certificates (free
to .edu's from ipsca.com), got another file with two more certs (these
were supposed to handle the CA chain), and followed their
instructions, which said to:

	1. Point SSLCertificateFile to the server cert file
	2. Point SSLCertificateChainFile to the file containing those
	two extra certs for the CA chain

Then, I tried it out, and the browser still gave me the popup about
how it couldn't verify my server cert, and how this could be a MITM.

The way I fixed it was to cat together the server cert file and the CA
chain file into one single file, and point both SSLCertificateFile
*and* SSLCertificateChainFile to it in the ssl config file.

That's the only way I got it to work on RedHat9 with apache 2.0.40.

Don't know if this is even related to your problem, but who knows --
maybe something worth trying.

Cheers,
Gabriel