[NCLUG] FreeBSD versus Linux?

P. Scott DeVos scott at savingtree.com
Sat Mar 20 20:01:32 MST 2004

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> P. Scott DeVos writes:
>
>>Even on Windows computers, any command line work involving filenames
>>with a space in them is a pain.  Spaces serve excellently as the
>>separator character, they have no place in filenames.  I would love to
>>have a talk with the dope that thought up the "documents and settings"
>>directory in Windows!  I'll take /home, /docs and /etc any day over that
>>mess.
>

> Quoting with command line functions works just fine for embedded
> spaces ... tools driving command scripts should automatically
> quote all filenames, and the spaces then become transparent.

Yeah, so now I need two separators, quotes and spaces!  That is exactly
what makes it a pain.  Take a look at vbscripts that drive command
tools, especially those that build command strings on the fly.  I've
seen as many as six quotation characters in a row.  What a mess!

I fully expect longhorn to support quotes and backslashes in filenames
and we'll have a yet another separator character to handle that.
Microsoft will celebrate a breakthrough in end-user ease of use.

--
P. Scott DeVos