[NCLUG] Mandrake and graphics card

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Mar 25 10:53:11 MST 2004

elizabeth> okay, I've currently got the ATI Radeon 9200 in, tried to
elizabeth> run xf86config but it doesn't recognize ATI Radeon.  So
elizabeth> downloaded all 7 tarballs for XFree86 4.3.0 (currently had
elizabeth> 4.1.0) (can't use 4.4.0 because no xfree86 drivers on the
elizabeth> ATI website for it) got the tarballs, but when i tried to
elizabeth> run sh Install.sh, I get these messages: : command not
elizabeth> found : command not found : command not found : command not
elizabeth> found 'nstall.sh: line 54: syntax error near unexpected
elizabeth> token `in 'nstall.sh: line 54: ` case "$1" in

Nasty...

You are running mandrake 8.1?

Or did you switch to another distro...

Does mandrake 8.1 have a rpm based upgrade to XFree86 4.3.0?
The rpm based one should be MUCH MUCH easier than dealing with tar's
and compiling yourself.

elizabeth> here's my xfree86.0.log, if it actually helps you =)

Looks like it's falling back to the 'vga' driver...
which isn't working with the ati card.

You might check:

http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/

and/or

http://www.gmpf.de/english/

To see what should be in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
At the least I think you need the driver to be 'radeon'.

elizabeth> ANY HELP really appreciated, i'm not very good at
elizabeth> configuring other people's software!!  thanks -lost and
elizabeth> confuzzled

Yeah, some of the new graphics cards don't make it easy.

Of course with new cutting edge graphics cards, you need the latest
software to support them. So, upgrading to mandrake 10 or some other
really new distro should make this easier.

Hope that helps any...

kevin