[NCLUG] Mandrake kills MS

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Sun Mar 28 12:17:03 MST 2004

Hi elizabeth,

Can I assume that you installed the machine to dual boot from
Lilo, and that the error below is from the NT boot sequence?

It's unlikely that Lilo modified the windows, but it is possible
there was some filesystem corruption from a crash or improper
shutdown of windows (or linux if that partition was mounted).

You can re-install windows if necessary to recover a bootable
system on that partition, but you will need to make a linux
boot disk first so you can re-install lilo after cleaning up
the windows partition.

you might mount the windows partition under linux, and investigate
about the hal.dll .... do a find to see if it's still on the
disk some place, or bring it in via floppy from another machine
with the same release and service pack level.

John