[NCLUG] USB cameras?

hugh at mahon.cwx.net hugh at mahon.cwx.net
Fri May 7 19:51:35 MDT 2004

Hi Folks,

        I want to set up a USB camera.  I looked at a list of cameras
that are supported (http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html) and
found one at Target (the GE EasyCam Pro HO98064).  I followed the
instructions (yes, I read the fine documentation!), compiled and
installed new kernel modules and when I run xawtv I get the message:

        This is xawtv-3.90, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.22-xfs)
        can't open /dev/video0: Message too long
        v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
        v4l2: open /dev/video0: Message too long
        v4l2: open /dev/video0: Message too long
        v4l: open /dev/video0: Message too long
        no video grabber device available

So I have two questions:

        - any hints or suggestions on how to proceed to debug this and
          get it working (I've RTFM'd all the documents I can find but
          may have missed something fundamental)
        - anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive camera they know
          works?

Thanks,

Hugh