[NCLUG] dualhead dvi video card w. open drivers ?

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Tue May 18 11:42:17 MDT 2004

I'm looking for a card that would let me run dual-headed dvi at
1600x1200 each, with non-proprietary drivers.

Right now, I'm stuck with an nvidia card, and

	1. the nv driver doesn't seem to allow it to run in
dual-headed mode
	2. the proprietary nvidia driver is reported to crap out on
FC2 (and I hate binary-only drivers for political reasons anyway :) )

So, I've been looking in the general direction of Matrox, and it looks
like the P650 is also proprietary-only. The 550 won't do DVI (at least
a bunch of folks I know tried and could only get it to work in analog
mode). I also heard that the 550 only does 1280x1024 in dual-headed
(analog) mode... Am I SOL, or is there another alternative ?

Oh, and I don't care (much) about 3d accel -- all I want is screen
real-estate (and freedom :) )...

Thanks much,
Gabriel