[NCLUG] dualhead dvi video card w. open drivers ?

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Tue May 18 14:04:04 MDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 01:51:47PM -0600, Mike Jensen wrote:
> I have an nvidia card with proprietary drivers running dual head....are you
> intrested in looking at my XF86Config?

Thanks -- I did get it to work with the proprietary drivers, but it
was on a 2.4 kernel.

FC2 comes with a 2.6, and there were rumors about how the proprietary
driver crashes the system unless you do some kernel cmdline voodoo.

So now's my big chance to hand the card over to a windows-using
coworker, and get a new dual-head card. I wanted to get something that
allowed dual-dvi at 1600x1200 and had open drivers. Matrox used to be
cool, but their 550 card maxes out at 1200x1024. The p650 suffers from
the same problem -- closed drivers, that will get in my way one day
down the road, if not immediately (like this nvidia thing is getting
in my way now that I want to install FC2).

So I'm in the market for a new card, and wanted recommendations on how
to vote with my wallet :) :)

Thanks,
Gabriel