[NCLUG] Python newbie - modules/libraries?

Duncan McGreggor duncan at adytumsolutions.com
Mon Nov 15 19:58:00 MST 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Intrinsic Spin wrote:

> You might try http://www.python.org/ or The Vaults of Parnassus at
> http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Be careful, though... a lot of that stuff is out of date.

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 11:01:39AM -0700, Rich Young wrote:
>> Hey, all,
>> 	I'm just getting started with python, and I'm having a little
>> trouble finding the python equivalent of CPAN or PEAR.  Anyone care to
>> offer me a quick point in the right direction?

Here's something that may help... there's a conceptual difference
between python packages/modules and those for perl and php:

- python includes *lots* of what you may be looking for as standard
libraries

For example, there are tons of things that you *have* to use CPAN for,
since they are not included with perl. Here's the official library
reference for the latest python:

   http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html

As you can see, there is why they way that python comes with batteries
included ;-) There is a lot of stuff there... I am *still* exploring
parts of the standard libs I have never used, and I've been using
python for years.

Threads on the python/python-dev lists pop up on a semi-regular basis
with ideas for making something more like CPAN for python. Nothing ever
really happens. The truth is, that once you get used to the standard
python libraries and searching sourceforge and google for non standard
ones, it's not a lot of extra effort and the pain of setting something
up like CPAN doesn't measure up with cost/benefit.

When I switched from perl to python, I ran into the same issue as you
are experiencing. It really pissed me off. However, as soon as I got my
head around the conceptual differences, the pain went away.

Hang in there!

Duncan