[NCLUG] Problem building kernel with Nvidia nic

Michael Crosiar crosiarcm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 09:02:23 MST 2004

Hello,

I need some help getting the built in nic on my
motherboard to work. First,

My motherboard is a Biostar M7NCD nForce2 Motherboard.
I'm running Debian Unstable with the 2.4.27-1-386
debian kernel. The nic works just fine in this
configuration.

Ok, in order to install VMWare, I need to rebuild the
kernel, so I installed kernel-source-2.4.27 and built
the kernel with all of the network devices as modules.
Since the binary kernel is perfectly functioning, I
would have expected this to work fine. But, the nic is
not recognized with the new kernel. I tried the Nvidia
binary driver "forcedeth", but this did not work
either.

So, what is in the binary driver that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Michael C.