[NCLUG] ThinkPad 600E Sound Card - no joy

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Mon Sep 20 20:18:25 MDT 2004

Hi everybody,

The good news is I can connect wirelessly every time at the Ever Open
Cafe, 1422 N. College Ave, Fort Collins, with a TP600E running SUse
9.0 and Orinoco Classic Gold Card. Thank you to everybody in the
group who has helped with suggestions about what card to buy, how to
set things up, etc.

The bad news is not a peep out of my sound card. This machine has a
DVD drive and in order to play movies or even an audio CD I have to
boot into [ugh] Windows 98. The latest error :

insmod cs46xx "unresolved symbol ac97_probe_codec_R83a75e83"

and then another error message "primary AC97 codec not present".

What's a codec? Also, lookng at ALSA.ORG website they say to
download four packages and compile an ALSA module. Do I really
need to do this?

Hope to see y'all tomorrow.

-Shorter

Trustix, huh? Thanks Evelyn... that's a new one...

Dial Broadband has arrived Nationwide! Up to 5 times faster than traditional dialup connections from $13.33/month! See the demo for yourself at <a href="http://www.BigValley.net">www.BigValley.net</a>