[NCLUG] Asterisk & T1

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 14:47:09 MDT 2005

Jeff:

I decided to call frii myself and spoke with a very
helpful engineer there about your question. He said
they do not offer integrated T1s, but rather offer
data only lines with the option for VoiP over it. They
said they may be able to offer trunking for Asterisk,
but that would still be a data, rather than voice
line. They offered to get me some quotes for that.
I'll forward that to you when I get it.

If you really wanted to make your own VoiP gateway,
FRII did give me the names of two competitors who
offer a T1 with a mixed voice and data channels, but
1) I doubt you really want to change providers just
for the experiment 2) they were so helpful that I
would feel bad for passing on the information to one
of their existing clients, especially since I called
under quasi-false pretenses (I said I was a teacher
and I could use the information for my class, which is
absolutel true, but I didn't say I was going to pass
it on to one of their clients!).

If you're just wanting to learn about asterisk, I
think  you're better off just using an existing
provider rather than try to do your own gateway.
Several companies offer very cheap gateways for
asterisk. A possible service may be
"www.livevoip.com", which offers prepaid VoiP trunking
for asterisk, which may be good for occasional use or
learning projects. Caveat emptor: I haven't tried them
myself, so your mileage may vary.

-- Marcio