[NCLUG] Connectivity problems to ebay, (and possibly others)

jeff jeff at themoes.org
Tue Dec 27 15:28:18 MST 2005

John L. Bass wrote:
[chop]

 >         [root at fastbox log]# telnet 216.113.178.140 80
 >         [root at fastbox log]# telnet 216.113.185.41 80
 >         [root at test ~]# telnet 216.113.178.10 80
 >         [root at Bass ~]# telnet 216.113.176.11 80

[chop]

 > Try telneting to each of the addresses above a few times and let me
know if
 > you are also seeing the problem.

I can confirm I'm seeing "flakiness" with those IPs from my Linux boxes
co-located @ FRII. I tried from different boxes which are on different
subnets, each with their own ethernet drop (e.g. two drops).

Sometimes it wouldn't connect, sometimes it would connect but a "GET /"
would return nothing, and sometimes a "GET /" would show IIS ebay crap:
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:04:34 GMT
Server: WebSphere Application Server/4.0

I then tested from two OpenBSD boxes at the FRII co-lo. They were able
to connect /every/ time.

So? Linux kernel bug?

Hmm. I then tested from my Linux laptop connected here in argentina to a
  cable modem.  It could connect 100% of the time.

The Linux boxes that failed above were running kernels, um, 2.4.30,
2.6.10 & 2.6.12.

Perhaps it's this: the akamai or akamaiish boxes that are caching for
ebay that are between FRII & eBay have some incompatability with the
Linux kernel.

-Jeff