[NCLUG] KRUD & KVM Post-mortem

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Wed Jun 22 12:34:49 MDT 2005

I got a different KVM switch from a friend and tried installing again,
and had much more success.  This time, it didn't recognize my monitor,
but it did recognize my video card, and I got a chance to specify the
make & model of the monitor during the install.

The X startup produced a couple of wierd screens before it came up, but
it did come up fine in the end, and the rest of the install went fine.

I think the difference is that the new switch is capable of
impersonating the idle keyboard & mouse to one machine while they are in
active use on another.  The old one was just a physical selector with no
bells or whistles; I'm not sure why that would interfere if you don't
use the switch during the installation, but there you go.

I did notice that it seems to like a little idle time after switching to
get its bearings, as Bob mentioned.