[NCLUG] parallel processing users?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Fri Oct 14 14:41:32 MDT 2005

Hi Matt,

What do you have in mind? A specific application, or just
interested in general?

I've been doing parallel in a number of ways for a couple
decades -- SMP, Distributed, and clustered, each has it's
use.

I've been using dual/quad machines for desktops and servers
(Sun, SGI and Pentium's) for threaded application development,
and those machines tightly coupled with TCP over Fibre Channel
and ethernet to support MPI development for more than a decade
(under Solaris, Irix, and Linux).

For the last couple years I've been doing extreme parallel R&D
on FPGA based systems from The Dini Group (www.dinigroup.com)
using a pair of 64bit PCI hosted DN2000K10's with XCV2000E's,
as well as my own boards. I'm personally interested in
reconfigurable computing approaches for applications with
high degrees of parallism, as this approach is 2-4 orders of
magnitude faster than traditional CPU's, and much more cost
effective for applications that are a good fit.

John Bass
DMS Design (AKA Distributed Modular Systems Design)