[NCLUG] Qwest DSL w/ PPPoE(oA)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Apr 2 23:04:56 MDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 02:15:15PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>Is anyone out there running Qwest DSL (or Qwest wiring with a different
>stable ISP) with their DSL modem configured in bridging mode, and a

Stephen and I talked about this today and I explained that he really
doesn't need briding to do this.  All he needs is to be able to bind to a
specific IP and possibly source-route the traffic meant for each line.  On
the server end, he wouldn't need to do anything.  Having two IPs on the
server end would make it super easy, because you could route each server IP
using "ip route" instead of having to do source routing (which is trickier
to set up, in my experience).

He figured he'd use OpenVPN in tap mode and the bonding driver, which
should work just great.  In fact, with all the problems I've been having
recently on both our comcast and DSL lines, maybe I should set that sort of
thing up as well.  Though I don't really want to load-balance our lines
because one of the lines is primarily there for VoIP.  Plus, they're
totally asymmetric on the inbound.  They're fairly symmetric on the
outbound.  I do want to dedicate some bandwidth to VoIP though.

Thanks,
 Jackie Trehorn treats objects like women, man...
                 -- _The_Big_Lebowski_