[NCLUG] Ousting Exchange

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Apr 19 16:18:02 MDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:09:11PM -0600, Chris Funk wrote:
> Hi DJ,
>
> Going through the same thing here.  I have been evaluating Scalix for the last couple weeks.  Very nice.  I also looked at openexchange and communigate.  Neither of them compares to Scalix's outlook plugin. And the AJAX web client is very cool.  The admin of scalix takes a bit to get used to though, but that may just be because I'm not terribly familiar with sendmail.  Setting up users and such is nice with the GUI, but most of the powerful stuff is CLI.   I set it up on Centos 4.3.  They say it is not supported, but there is plenty of stuff on their forums about how to get it going.  Basically just changing the redhat-release file to say Redhat rather than Centos.

Thanks for the quick comparison of Scalix with other alternatives.

The question I was going to ask the OP before you said this was:
Have you checked out open-xchange.org?  It might be worth your while if
you're looking to replace MS Exchange rather than simply supplement it.

Open-Xchange is fully open source, with the exception of the Outlook
plugin and maybe a few other bells and whistles that require licensing
technology from Microsoft.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley