[NCLUG] Question on Cable modems

bsimpson at att.net bsimpson at att.net
Fri Apr 28 16:38:52 MDT 2006

In my current residence I have cable Internet utilizing
a cable modem with a single ethernet output port connected
to my PC.  I would like to connect up a second computer.
In this case, would a hub or switch work just as well as
a router, connected between the modem and the PCs?  I
presume that if I use a hub that the modem would act as
a DHCP server to both PCs, or are they configured to talk
to only one PC?  In that case I assume I must use a router?
I would like a little clarification on this before I
purchase something that may be more than I need, or
inadequate...

Brian S