[NCLUG] Question on Cable modems

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Fri Apr 28 17:11:02 MDT 2006

This might differ from provider to provider, and modem to modem, but
here's my understanding as someone who just got cable and was
investigating the same stuff not long ago.

Your cable modem will NOT serve DHCP to however many machines you want
to put behind it unless this was explicitly offered as part of the
service. You need an internal LAN connected to the cable modem via some
sort of intermediary.

Your cheap used hardware solution is to put a single linux box behind
the cable modem.  This box is a firewall and DHCP server built on
"obselete" hardware, with one network card connected to cable and one
connected to a little 4-port hub.  You can then connect the rest of your
computers to that hub.  Your cost here is the cost of the "obselete"
server box and the hub, both of which would be free if you already have
them ;^)

Your easy, new hardware solution is to get a combination wireless/wired,
firewall/router/DHCP device.  A friend whose opinion I respect highly
was suggesting the D-Link DI-524, which is $41 at newegg.com.  You plug
this into your cable box, and then plug your other computers into it.
Or don't, as it has wireless.  That's pretty much it - it handles DHCP
and has 4 wired LAN ports.  You might need to spend a little time
configuring the firewall or something but otherwise it should be pretty
simple.

There are probably a bazillion variations on this, but those were the
two primary options I encountered when I looked into it.  Good luck,

I'm Rich Young, and I approved this message.