Data recovery and XFS (was: Re: [NCLUG] XFS, "Can't read superblock")

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Dec 6 22:18:12 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:14:45PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > ... That's the last XFS system I have right now, I've
> > switched entirely back to ext3.
> >
> > I know some people love XFS, but I don't like it.
>
> I am one of those people who really like xfs.  However I admit that I
> am also switching back to ext3.  There are couple of reasons for this
> that have nothing to do with the ones you listed.
>
> For one ext3 has had serious improvement over the last decade.  It has
> risen up to be not far behind the filesystem leaders.  So moving back
> to ext3 today is not like it was way back when.  The performance
> difference is not as marked now.
>
> But the real reason for me is that ext3 can both grow and shrink a
> filesystem.  Deploying ext3 on lvm on raid means that I can reallocate
> disk space as needed among partitions.  For my setup this only works
> if I can steal space from the other partitions for the one I want to
> grow.  Since xfs does not shrink, it only allows growth, I can't use
> it like that.  I could only add additional disks and would not be able
> to reallocate existing ones.  Therefore I have left xfs behind with a
> tear in my eye.  I am back to using ext3 on lvm over raid and it is a
> solid performer.

In my case, I'll probably stop using XFS for most purposes basically
just because it's not as universally supported across other operating
systems as ext3.  I like having more, rather than fewer, options.

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."