[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sat Dec 9 10:47:23 MST 2006

> Why do you ifup it manually? Doesn't NetworkManger allow you to do that within
> your window manager? As such, bringing it up manually may be causing some
> problems with the NetworkManager/DBus system. That's my only idea.
>
> wt

Warren,

I am unfamiliar with NetworkManager, but you could be right. The other
distro's I have tried on this laptop support the wireless card in a
pre-configured package. Fedora does not, so I had to download the latest
cvs of the source and compile it myself. After a make, make install, and
a little tweeking of some config files, I got the card to work only in a
non-x environment. If I let the system load the card at start up, it
hangs the system something terrible at initial boot. It passes the bump
with a "Failed" to load, but I can get it to start from a prompt
manually later on. I will try and figure out this NetworkManager thingy
and see if I can kill it.

David