[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Dec 11 10:38:49 MST 2006

Chad Perrin wrote:
> In the sources.list file, you may notice that package repository URLs
> are preceded by "deb" and source repository URLs are preceded by
> "deb-src".

Sorry, I thought you were referring to something else.

Previously Chad Perrin wrote:
> I referred to using the software management system's integral
> compilation tools, not just grabbing sources off freshmeat and doing a
> "./configure;make;make install".  I recall installing ndiswrapper from
> deb-src repository sources, grabbed with "apt-get source -b" and
> installed via APT, that upgraded along with the rest of the installed
> packages when I ran an "apt-get upgrade" later on.  I'm not certain
> whether this works in concert with kernel upgrades, since I've not
> really tried that, but it does work when there's a new minor version
> release, security patch, or bugfix available in the deb-src
> repositories for what I've installed from source in that manner.

As far as I can tell from the above you did a one time compilation and
rebuilt a package manually.  In standard Debian/Ubuntu there will be
no automatic rebuilds of those modules when future security upgrades
to the kernel package are released.  I could easily believe that there
might be an additional package that could be installed that might try
to do this automatically (e.g. apt-src or something).  There are
sufficient hooks available to pull it off.  But I am not aware of any
packages that actually do this though.

Bob