[NCLUG] configuring ssh on Ubuntu

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Dec 12 22:22:06 MST 2006

S. Luke Jones wrote:
> How the devil do I configure ssh so it works? By "works" I mean...

It works out of the box for me.

> I clobbered all the relevant entries in my .ssh/known-hosts and
> authorized_keys2 files on both machines.

For one OpenSSH uses authorized_keys not authorized_keys2.

> There's nothing relevant in the /etc/hosts_(deny|allow) files.

  s/hosts_/hosts./

> I read <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto> and even
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH> but if there's
> help for me there, I missed it.
>
> Any ideas?

If telnet or nc is installed then you can use one of those to connect
to the ssh port and verify that you can connect.

  telnet emac 22

On my machine I see:

  SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_4.2p1 Debian-7ubuntu3.1

Use -v to have ssh print out debugging information.  Use more -v's to
get more verbosity.

  ssh -v emac
  ssh -vv emac

If all of that fails I would listen on the network port for traffic
and see what is happening there.

  sudo tcpdump -n -i eth0 port 22

Bob