[NCLUG] RE: Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Thu Dec 14 11:32:15 MST 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>> I am totally ok with having GUi tools that make users lives
easier. It'd
>> be best if they just poked the back-end flat files so that it
remains the
>> canonical location, obviously...
and Chad Perrin replied:

>I am too, and I agree entirely with that short paragraph. I'm not
>saying anyone should eliminate all GUI configuration tools from any
>distribution -- even the distro-specific tools. I just like it when I
>don't have to jump through any more hoops than absolutely necessary
when
>I don't want to have to muddle through something like Drakconf one
click
>at a time (to pick a tool out of relatively recent memory).

I agree with Chad. Talk about making life easier - I hand edited some
configuration files in SuSE. They were in their canonical locations.
Then SuSE changed them back without asking. I didn't feel like my
life was being made easier.

Bottom line for me - if you want to learn Red Hat, SuSE, or Mandriva
install Red Hat, SuSE or Mandriva if you want to learn UNIX install
Slackware.

Shorter

Dial Broadband has arrived Nationwide! Up to 5 times faster than traditional dialup connections from $13.33/month! See the demo for yourself at <a href="http://www.BigValley.net">www.BigValley.net</a>