[NCLUG] Little Lunuxes anyone?

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 12:07:47 MST 2006

Mica Fine wrote:
> Which is your favorite for old laptops, and why?

Mica,

I have had good luck with Damn Small Linux on an older laptop with a
classic Pentium 90 mhz with only 32 megs of ram. My laptop does not have
a cdrom drive, so I was able to do a net-install with a carefully
prepared floppy disc. I used an older 16-bit pcmcia ethernet card for
the installation. I even found an older 16-bit wireless card that
plugged into the pcmcia slot for wireless connectivity, and it works! I
need to keep it plugged in because the old battery will not even last
long enough to boot the darn thing.

The default window manager is FluxBox and responds well on the machine.
Firefox does not handle the minimal resources, but the Dillo Web browser
loads fine. The machine is a fully functional, with X. Worth a look.

If your resources are a little higher, I would recommend a minimal
install of Debian with a light weight window manager like FluxBox.

My two cents.

Take care.

David