[NCLUG] Little Lunuxes anyone?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 18 14:31:01 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:07:47PM -0700, David Braley wrote:

> I have had good luck with Damn Small Linux on an older laptop with a
> classic Pentium 90 mhz with only 32 megs of ram. My laptop does not have
> a cdrom drive, so I was able to do a net-install with a carefully
> prepared floppy disc. I used an older 16-bit pcmcia ethernet card for
> the installation. I even found an older 16-bit wireless card that
> plugged into the pcmcia slot for wireless connectivity, and it works! I
> need to keep it plugged in because the old battery will not even last
> long enough to boot the darn thing.
>
> The default window manager is FluxBox and responds well on the machine.
> Firefox does not handle the minimal resources, but the Dillo Web browser
> loads fine. The machine is a fully functional, with X. Worth a look.
>
> If your resources are a little higher, I would recommend a minimal
> install of Debian with a light weight window manager like FluxBox.

I'm curious:

What are the benefits to using DSL over a minimal Debian install?  My
understanding is that DSL is basically equivalent to a minimal Debian
install, except that it adds some lightweight user environment software
and applications rather than making you choose them for yourself.  Is
there some benefit other than a quicker "acceleration" from zero to GUI
in the install process?

"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid