[NCLUG] Hard drive only Linux install.

Haefner,Kyle Anson Kyle.Haefner at ColoState.EDU
Mon Dec 18 16:24:30 MST 2006

Hello all,

I was hoping to install xubuntu
on ye' old laptop without cdrom/floppy/usbboot/ethboot.  My plan was to installl from the
hard drive. I put the hard drive in a laptop with a cdrom and booted the live cd.
I partitioned the hard drive into three
partitions a "boot" partition to hold grub vmlinuz and initrd, and an "iso" partition to hold the live cd ISO.

I ran grub-install, made a menu.lst and rebooted.  The machine booted up and I was presented with the
BusyBox commandline.  Wasn't sure how to go from there...

I could mount the ISO partition, and then tried to loop mount the ISO.  It didn't work. :(

Does anyone know how to install linux using only the hard drive?

kyle

From: nclug-bounces at nclug.org [nclug-bounces at nclug.org] On Behalf Of nclug-request at nclug.org [nclug-request at nclug.org]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 3:33 PM
To: nclug at nclug.org
Subject: NCLUG Digest, Vol 95, Issue 2

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (David Braley)
   2. RE: Little Lunuxes anyone? (Darrin Goodman)
   3. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (Mica Fine)
   4. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (Mica Fine)
   5. Re: Failing drive or controller... (Benson Chow)
   6. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (John L. Bass)
   7. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (Chad Perrin)
   8. Re: Failing drive or controller... (jeff)
   9. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (Chad Perrin)
  10. Re: Little Lunuxes anyone? (David Braley)

Message: 1