[NCLUG] Hard drive only Linux install.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 20 18:39:15 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:46:06AM -0700, Darrin Goodman wrote:
>hardly call myself an expert, but with having past experiences of installing
>Gentoo and Debian [...], my understanding of the install process is that
>the OS is compiled specifically for the machine that you are performing the

To be precise, doesn't Gentoo compile the binaries specifically for a
set of particular USE_* and compiler flags.  This is influenced by the
knowledge of the installer (both the software and wetware components).

To illustrate the how this is different, a friend of mine that runs Gentoo
spent the better part of a week trying to get it to suspend on his laptop,
by tweaking USE and compiler flags and kernel options.  Where my laptop (of
exactly the same model) Just Worked (tm) under Fedora and Ubuntu with
suspend.

So who's install more closely matched their hardware?  ;-)

 The day that Linux invades the desktop market is the day that I start
 believing in people again.