[NCLUG] My new program: wifiroamd.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 22 14:52:14 MST 2006

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 08:48:34PM -0700, Warren Turkal wrote:
>How does it work with wpasupplicant?

It doesn't.  Supposedly, wpasupplicant can do similar things, but it's
unclear to me how wpasupplicant would handle things like roaming between
un-encrypted APs...  I looked at it before I started writing wifiroamd, and
it didn't seem like it had anything to help there.

IMHO, WEP and WPA are only the 80% solution.  They will protect against
someone else listening via RF in your physical location, but they don't
protect against someone else on the network at the coffee shop, or up
stream from there (like, if the coffee shop has a long-haul wireless
without encryption, or a compromised router or network along the way).

I run everything over a VPN, so everything going to my servers is secure,
and things going to public sites or otherwise not going to our servers is
only inspectable from my servers to the final destination.

I've never been able to get wpasupplicant working when I tried it, but that
was quite a while ago.  I have no real experience with it though.  I would
imagine that I could make a plugin that would start/stop wpasupplicant, but
I don't know exactly how it would interact with wifiroamd.

Thanks,
 "Engineering Tablets?  Does that mean if I swallow one, I'll be an engineer?"
                 -- Evelyn Mitchell