[NCLUG] Software WEP/WPA in Linux gateway?

Kevin H. Olson k.h.olson at att.net
Mon Jul 31 14:32:43 MDT 2006

Hello Marcio,

  I know this proposal uses MAC addresses, but here is one thought.

1)Do not have the wireless router assign IP addresses. Use the DHCP from the Linux machine.
2)In the DHCP configuration file, assign known IP addresses for known trusted MAC addresses. For unknown MAC addresses, assign out of the general pool.
3)Filter all traffic based upon the IP addresses. Trusted IP addresses may have full access, untrusted would have only limited access.

For example, I set up two zones, trusted and not. Trusted MACs received an address of 10.x; untrusted received 192.168.x. Then, the routing on the untrusted could basically only access the internet, as the routing tables were completely different.

  The difficult part of the administration was handling the MAC address entry. However, there were no keys to distribute. Unfortunately, the communication was not encrypted, something you indicated you might want.

Kevin