[NCLUG] CentOS Yum Repositories?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 12 19:36:15 MDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:56:38AM -0600, Rich Young wrote:
>Anyone have any suggestions for reliable yum repositories for CentOS?
>I'm getting errors because yum can't find whatever repo came built-in to
>the installation.

Fedora mirrors have been pretty spotty, not sure about CentOS.  In Fedora
there have been corrupt upstream repositories, which means they spread to
other mirrors, but the bigger problem seems to be that sometimes it just
uses a mirror that has horrible speeds, like several seconds to download a
few dozen kilobytes of information, on lines that should be able to grab
1+megabytes per second.  10+ seconds to get a header file means that it's
going to absolutely suck to get the RPM.  ;-/

Most of the CentOS servers we deploy we deploy for customers at our server
facility, and we point them at mirrors.tummy.com for obvious reasons.  It's
reeeeal snappy.

You're welcome to use mirrors.tummy.com and see if it helps.  Use it in
place of the regular mirror host name for baseurl line, and it should be
golden.  That works real well with CentOS, sometimes Fedora has issues
because of the repository problems I mentioned before.

We let mirrors use all bandwidth that we aren't using for other things,
usually this is 2 to 6mbps, so mirrors can be pretty snappy.  We're on a
lot of the mirror lists, but just don't get hit that hard.

Thanks,
 Money is the root of all evil!  Man needs roots...
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/