[NCLUG] bibliographic software

mbutcher at aleph-null.tv mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Thu Jun 22 14:12:24 MDT 2006

[ This is a re-send of a message I sent yesterday that seems to have
been mostly
obliterated by the upstream SMTP server. ]

At the risk of being overly self-promotional (and blowing my five-year lurker
status), I want to suggest one. I have been writing a web-based tool, named
Sinciput, for scholarly note-taking. Part of it is bibliographic management.

http://aleph-null.tv/go.php/20050111-1122-488.xml

It interfaces directly with Library of Congress for retrieving
bibliography data
over the Internet (enter ISBN, ISSN, or LCCN, and get the bibliographic
data on
the fly). It also supports taking per-source notes and that sort of thing. It
has a rudimentary search engine, highlighting, and a browser-based WYSIWYG
editor (FCKEditor). It also has a rudimentary ontology tool, a journal tool
(which I use for jotting down "brilliant ideas" that I later wish I had not
jotted down), and a dictionary that interfaces with DICT servers.

Currently, it is implemented in PHP 4.3/4.4 (it uses the now-deprecated DOM
API). I am in the midst of porting it to mod_python.

So, this could be overkill for what your needs are (or underkill, if the
bibliography portion is not up to your standards), but... I thought I would
mention it here.

Matt

(And feel free to contact me off-list with questions that mightn't be of
interest to list readers.)