[NCLUG] NTP server question

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 4 16:24:03 MST 2006

Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
> I thought my server was answering queries as to time.  However when
> I explicity checked I found otherwise...  Can someone spot my config
> error?

Did you resolve your issue?

I looked at your configuration file and while I did not see anything
that stood out as being wrong I also found an unusual set of
configurations which I don't normally see.  If you are not getting
time from other machines then you might start by removing most of that
and then if that works return the configurations one by one until you
locate the problem.

> [root at sahu base]# ntpdate bast.meanspc.com
> 20 Feb 23:53:15 ntpdate[16218]: no server suitable for synchronization found
>
> Why can it not sync off the host as defined above?

You might try this restrict config instead of the one that you have.

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
# See /usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/accopt.html for details.
restrict default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify

Hope that helps,
Bob