[NCLUG] Question regarding resizing ext3 filesystems

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 11 17:00:52 MST 2006

Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
> Hi All,

Please don't reply to other posts when starting a new thread.  Just
start a new thread with a new message.  What does this have to do with
"March 14 NCLUG Meeting".  But it is marked as a reply to it.

> I have a 2Gb root partition that I want to resize up to around 30Gb.
> Has anyone had any experience with this and is it even a good idea
> or should I just consider moving my /var and /usr directories to
> another partition?  I am running at that point of no extra space on
> my drive right now so any recommendations would be appreciated
> greatly.

By what method are you going to resize it up?  A new disk drive?  Or
by moving to another partition on the same drive?  Or LVM?  Or
resizing the partition?  Or?

It is very common on servers to have a small (say 2G for lots of
breathing room, but 500M works fine) root partition with /var, /usr,
/home, /tmp, etc on other partitions as needed.  Just adding disk
space and copying those off works fine.  If you are worried about
active processes writing to /var then you can always boot off of a
Knoppix disk or other live boot and copy the images while they are
offline.

Bob