[NCLUG] Network Driver?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Mar 17 09:30:37 MST 2006

Rich Young wrote:
> In the network device controller, the NIC is recognizes and I can
> configure it just fine - it just won't negotiate DHCP, which is the
> first step when I'm activating the device.  A little playing with ping
> indicates that there's no connection to anything, but I have a known
> good cable modem on the other end of the wire.

I would try booting a recent live cdrom such as Knoppix and seeing how
it handles your NIC.  If it works then you know you can make it work
in your installed system.  If it does not work then I would suspect
that your card is not supported.

> Anyone have any advice?  I'm considering just throwing in a PCI card
> instead of struggling with this onboard stuff, but it's frustrating to
> have to do that.

I frequently add a PCI card for networking and for sound.  Life is too
short to be continually frustrated with driver problems.

Bob