[NCLUG] The new cruelty.

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Nov 1 00:48:52 MST 2006

DJ Eshelman wrote:
> I'm wondering along these lines - I have a mailman group set up to only
> accept mail from two people, everything else is auto-discarded.  The problem
> is that they posted the email for the group on their website and so now it's
> getting spammed like crazy....  but instead of me getting moderator
> requests, I'm getting auto-discard notifications (in the tune of about 20-50
> per day).  I have Thunderbird filtering these directly to trash, but that
> doesn't always help when checking mail elsewhere.

Check the discard_these_nonmembers option.  [Privacy options...],
[Sender filters], there I expect to find that you are automatically
discarding these messages, which is fine.  But there is an additional
setting for forward_auto_discards.  "Should messages from non-members,
which are automatically discarded, be forwarded to the list
moderator?"  I expect that you have that set to yes.  Set
discard_these_nonmembers to no so that it won't send those messages to
you any more.

Bob