[NCLUG] nclug mailing lists and plus addressing

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Tue Nov 21 13:12:46 MST 2006

I thought a valid email address couldn't contain a space unless enclosed in
quotes, according to rfc 2822.

In your first example, the email address is not properly quoted, it only
has one doublequote.

Evelyn
* On 2006-11-21 12:45 Warren Turkal <wt at penguintechs.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 05:49, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > In looking at the list of subscribers, I see two users subscribed with + in
> > their address, including your "wt+nclug" address, so I'd have to say that
> > it looks like it's supported.
>
> It doesn't accept the space in quotes or the unquoted equivalent with %20
> replacing the space.

> error is the following:
> The email address you supplied is not valid. (E.g. it must contain an `@'.)
>
> In the unquoted case (wt+mailing%20lists/nclug at domain.tld form), the error is
> the following:
> Your subscription is not allowed because the email address you gave is
> insecure.
>
> Is there a proper form that I could write these addresses so that they would
> work?
>
> wt
> --
> Warren Turkal (w00t)

This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [x] soon [ ] none

                            http://www.tummy.com/