[NCLUG] Apache Config - deny from certain User Agent?

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Tue Oct 31 14:47:46 MST 2006

I've been having some trouble with a certain bot attempting to comment
spam blogs on our web server, which my aging server handles very poorly
- the result is similar to a DoS attack.  Unfortunately, the traffic is
not coming from any single IP range, but it does seem to all be
self-identifying as a specific user agent (WebaltBot).  Does anyone know
if it's possible to create a directive in the Apache 2.0 conf file that
simply rejects traffic from this user agent?  I've looked at
BrowserMatch, but it's intended only to set environment variables.

And looking ahead, this approach is only going to work until the bot in
question gets renamed, so I'm open to other suggestions.