[NCLUG] No Happy Beeps -SOLVED

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Sat Apr 14 13:16:57 MDT 2007

>Hello everybody,
>
>I'm asking here because y'all recommended Lucent
>Orinoco Gold Card when I first started connecting
>at public Internet coffee shops. A 16 bit
>802.11b card.
>
>I'm running Slackware 11.0 on a ThinkPad T30.
>The default kernel is 2.4.33.3 and when I run
>it I connect without any problem.
[edited]

>Bottom line, would I be better off going
>to a different wireless card?

The solution was to obtain a replacement DVD
drive - the old one was failing. Then I replaced
Slackware 11.0 with Open SuSE 10.2 ... wireless
started right up.

Thanks for *not* babysitting with me on this.
Want to run BOINC Climate Prediction models
on the T30. See http://bbc.co.uk/climateprediction
A 2.6x kernel is required. BBC tech support told
me they always had trouble with Slackware...

See you soon I hope,
Shorter

Dial Broadband has arrived Nationwide! Up to 5 times faster than traditional dialup connections from $13.33/month! See the demo for yourself at <a href="http://www.BigValley.net">www.BigValley.net</a>