[NCLUG] [offtopic] Looking for old SCSI stuff

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Tue Apr 24 00:27:53 MDT 2007

Marcio Luis Teixeira writes...

> Fast and UltraWide? Ha! We're talking mid-1986 here -- it
> supports pre-standards SCSI-1 at a whopping 1MBs/sec...
> narrow and slow, and not even compatible with all drives
> because of a firmware bug.
>
> However, I believe the SCSI-2 1.25G may be backwards
> compatible enough to at least warrant a try.
>
> As for the enclosure, do you know what type of SCSI
> standard it is? For it to be useful to me I need the large
> Centronics 50 connectors, or at least a 50 pin connector
> on the drives themselves.

With the right adaptors you can connect 68 pin and even 80 pin SCA drives. All
single-ended and LVD drives (not that rare high voltage differential drives
that some of the server vendors used for a while) should fall back to the
right speed. This means you can do crazy stuff. I have put 18gb 10k rpm SCA
drives into HP hppa-based 712 workstations and Apple m68k-based Quadras and
they worked. :)

If you're going to bother with such an old system, might as well have a fast
disk. :)

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org