[NCLUG] VPN

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Aug 1 08:28:25 MDT 2007

Hey guys-

  I've been trying to get some sort of VPN set up for my laptops for
quite some time, but have had a hard time finding good documentation on
some of this networking stuff.  What I'd  like to do is set up my
laptops (two linux laptops, one Mac laptop) to tunnel home to my home
network (and get a local ip) and then route ALL traffic through that
tunnel, even if it's just going out to the web (so I'm not broadcasting
passwords and the like over a wireless network).  I've looked at vtun a
few times, but have never gotten it to work, mostly because of
complications in my home network that are now gone.  However, with the
new Mac laptop, I'm not sure if vtun is available.  I know that it's
based off BSD, but I'm learning that OS X indeed is a very bastardized
BSD...

  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm assuming I'd have to set up
some scripts on my laptop and probably my server as well in order to
accomplish this, but I'm not really sure where to start with that
either.  I don't really need my handheld, so if you could point me at a
starting point, I can definitely RTFM.

Thanks,
Paul